Thursday, February 11, 2010

How Does He Do That?

Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NIV)
17 Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, 18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. 19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights. For the director of music. On my stringed instruments.

Life has a way of throwing all kinds of things at us.  Not all of it is good.  Whether we are saved or not our life is made up of blessings and trials.  It seems that our blessings and trials come in waves.  How often have we said, "This is too good to be true!"?  Probably not as often as we have said, "This is more than I can bear."

We live in a fallen world among fallen people.  Not to deny that there are people in our lives that are truly a blessing to us.  But on the whole, the world is broken and as a result we face trials.

Habakkuk lived in a world filled with sin and violence that seemed to go on unpunished.  He cries to the LORD, "How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen?  Or cry out to you, 'Violence!' but you do not save?  Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong?  Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds." (1:2-3).

God seemed distant.  When the LORD did answer, it was not what Habakkuk expected.  ""Look at the nations and watch-- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." (1:5).  God goes on to describe the unusual means by which He will bring judgement.  However, there is no outward promise of peace and tranquility here.

So how does he do it?  How does Habakkuk praise God in the midst of the destruction that is about to take place?

The answer is in how he chooses to respond to the situation.  He does not allow the situation to control him.  He chooses to find his joy in the LORD.  His peace comes in the confidence he has in the trustworthiness of his God.  His peace comes in his fellowship with the LORD.  His spirit is lifted in his words of praise to the God who loves him.

Habakkuk 3:18-19 (NIV)
18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. 19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment