Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sacred Time - Sacred Place

Psalms 3:1-5 (NIV) 1 O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah 3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. 4 To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah 5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.


In my Bible the subtitle for Psalm 3 is A Psalm of David.  When he fled from his son Absalom.  This Psalm is a lament.

I was recently getting caught up on the life and current events of a dear brother in Christ.  What he was going through was astonishing.  It was a convergence of terrible things.  If you were to write down a list of what was going on in his life,  your response would be, "That can't be.  That's terrible."  Many would feel crushed under the weight of worry and confusion.

However, my brother's response was a tremendous blessing to me.  Was he looking for escape from this situation?  While he probably would welcome escape, he was not looking for it.  Was he wondering where God was in the midst of all this?  No.  Was he questioning how God could do this to him?  Not at all.

He told me that this time in his life was sacred.  He said he couldn't really say it was a blessing.  He said it was sacred.  A sacred time.  A sacred place in his life.  My brother's response reflects verses 4 and 5, "4 To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah 5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. "

Paul Tripp, author, seminary professor, Executive Director of the Center for Pastoral Life in Fort Worth, Texas and a member of the pastoral staff of Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia has said, "God will take you where you would not choose to go in order to produce in you what you could not achieve on your own." 

I believe my brother would agree with this statement and welcomes what God is doing in his life, even though the situation is difficult and overwhelming. I also believe that, in time, he will also realize the blessing of God.

Wherever God is, that is where I want to be, too.  The sacred place.




No comments:

Post a Comment