Friday, November 5, 2010

Speaking With Spiritual Authority - Is Your Message Veil Worthy?

Exodus 34:29-35 (NASB77)
29 And it came about when Moses was coming down from Mount Sinai (and the two tablets of the testimony were in Moses' hand as he was coming down from the mountain), that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because of his speaking with Him. 30 So when Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 Then Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the rulers in the congregation returned to him; and Moses spoke to them. 32 And afterward all the sons of Israel came near, and he commanded them to do everything that the LORD had spoken to him on Mount Sinai. 33 When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever Moses went in before the LORD to speak with Him, he would take off the veil until he came out; and whenever he came out and spoke to the sons of Israel what he had been commanded, 35 the sons of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone. So Moses would replace the veil over his face until he went in to speak with Him.



There are people in my life that I pay special attention to if they have something to say.  Especially if they have something to say about spiritual matters.  And even more especially if it has something to do with my spiritual health and well being.

What gives these people the right or authority to speak to me about these things?  Why do I stop and listen?  Is it the person, the message or both that catches my attention?  Why is it that these people earn my special respect?

Today's passage may give us some insight into these questions.  As we consider Moses, because of his stuttering problem, he would not be considered to be a great public speaker.  I don't think people would flock to hear the marvelous tone and eloquent vocabulary of Moses.  His past was even a bit sketchy.  Would we be impressed by his resume?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  What was it about Moses that made people stop and listen to him that day so many years ago?

The reason people stopped and listened was because Moses had been in the presence of God.  Scripture tells us that Moses' face glowed in Exodus 33:11.  We read that God spoke to Moses face to face just as a man speaks to his friend.  It was evident to all that Moses had been in God's presence. His life, in fact his face, reflected that fact.  He was changed, even in appearance, because he had been with God.

There is something about the important people in my spiritual life that I recognize as God's spirit upon them, too.  How they live their life, and the things they say reflect the fact that they have spent time with God.  They too, shine for the Lord.  If they have been in God's presence, they speak with spiritual authority.  I know their words will be kind and constructive.  They will be redemptive to my soul.  They will not be harsh and destructive.  They will not promote themselves at my expense.  Rather, they will build me up.  They will invite me to join them in the awesome presence of God.  The power of God speaking through their words will heal my soul.

I have to return to A.W. Tozer who said in The Pursuit of God, "Men of the breaking hearts had a quality about them not known or understood by common men.  They habitually spoke with spiritual authority.  They had been in the presence of God and they reported what they saw there."


Pastors, elders, deacons, parents, teachers, government officials have authority due to their position.  Their power is in their position.  They may earn our respect or not.  Their lives may reflect God or not. They may or may not have spiritual authority as well as positional authority.   But there are also people who have no special position, who possess spiritual authority by the powerful presence of God in their lives.


I need people like the ones Tozer described to be involved in my life,  "[people] of breaking hearts who have a quality about them not known or understood by common men."  


I want to be a person who has been in the presence of God, who can report what was seen there.  My friends, this can only happen through diligent prayer and the study of God's Word.   Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment