Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010 Revisited

Thanksgiving Reflection


What a marvelous day we enjoyed yesterday! One family, four generations and over twenty-eight people celebrating God’s goodness and love over the past year. I woke up this morning marveling at God’s power and grace because I come in contact with many people for whom this kind of event would not likely happen. I know of families where people can’t be in the same room with certain aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters mothers or fathers without an argument or something worse happening.

God has been very good to us.

Psalms 51:11 (NIV)


11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.


Dr. Paul David Tripp in his book Whiter Than Snow, Meditations on Sin and Mercy, asks some penetrating questions. He asks:


o What is the thing in the world for which I am most thankful?

o The loss of what thing do I fear the most?

o The existence of what in my life gives me meaning, purpose, and that inner sense of well-being?


If I am completely honest with my answers, and not simply giving the answer that I think should be correct, I will see a true reflection of my heart. I have to come to grips with the fact that it may not be a pretty site. As I look at my life I will see that my actions follow the passions of my heart.


All of us fear losing something. The loss of God’s presence in the Psalmist’s life is what he feared most. What is it that you fear most?

Jesus reminds us in the Gospel of Matthew, 19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV)

What is the treasure of your heart?

As we transition from Thanksgiving to advent let us celebrate the treasure we have been given in our Lord, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment